Cameras Save Lives was developed by the Department of Justice & Regulation to explain how red-light and speed cameras work, increase confidence in the road safety camera system, and to promote safer road use. The website supports the government’s commitment to improve the transparency of Victoria’s road safety camera program.
Who manages cameras and road safety?
In Victoria, the following agencies share responsibility for managing the road safety strategy:
- VicRoads (External Link)
- Victoria Police (External Link)
- Transport Accident Commission (External Link)
- Department of Justice & Regulation.
These agencies implement an integrated, multi-faceted approach to road safety, combining the targeting of high-risk behaviour, enforcement, education and public awareness initiatives, research and development, and improvements to Victoria's road network.
The Department of Justice & Regulation oversees the road safety camera program, an integral part of the road safety strategy. Speed and red-light cameras improve road safety by reducing speeding, hence lowering the number of crashes and associated road trauma.
Cameras Save Lives – overview
Cameras Save Lives provides information relating to all aspects of the road safety camera network and the enforcement of associated offences in Victoria. On this website you can find out about:
- camera systems operating in Victoria, covering intersection – speed and red-light cameras, railway crossings, cameras on CityLink, EastLink, Geelong Road, the Western Ring Road, the Hume Freeway point-to-point system and mobile cameras
- how cameras work, including details on their technical requirements, components and data security measures
- the testing, certification and maintenance regime of the road safety camera systems, with the compliance certificates certifying each fixed digital camera available to download
- how infringements (fines) are issued and associated verification procedures
- current fines and penalties that apply for speeding, red-light and unregistered vehicle offences
- the locations of cameras throughout Victoria and information on how camera locations are selected
- statistics on the offences detected by the road safety cameras and the fines associated with those offences, covering compliance rates, fines by camera, fines by category and trends in fines
- information and data on road tragedies, effects of speeding, the costs of road trauma and links to related road safety research.
Please contact us if you have any feedback or queries about this website.