Photos and data captured by certified road safety cameras can be used as evidence of a speeding or red light offence, in accordance with the Road Safety Act 1986.
Camera test certificates may be admitted in court as evidence to show the camera has been tested and is operating correctly.
Photos captured by fixed road safety cameras show:
- location of the offence
- the vehicle
- close-up of the vehicle’s number plate.
Additional data collected includes:
- date and time of the offence
- location of the camera
- direction the vehicle was travelling
- which lane the vehicle was travelling in
- speed of the vehicle (for speeding offences only)
- speed limit at the location of the offence (for speeding offences only)
- time elapsed after the traffic light turned red (for red light offences only).
View an image of your traffic offence
If you have received a traffic infringement notice (fine) that was captured by a road safety camera (excluding tolling fines), you can view an image of your offence by visiting the Fines Victoria website