Top 10 road safety cameras for infringements issued
|Camera site||Number of infringements issued|
|At the Intersection of King Street and La Trobe Street, West Melbourne Lane - 1, 2, 3, 4||38,705|
|At the Intersection of Warrigal Road and Batesford Road, Chadstone - Lane 1, 2, 3||34,019|
|At the Intersection of Fitzroy Street and Lakeside Drive, St Kilda - Lane 1, 2, 3||29,766|
|At the Intersection of Flinders Street and William Street, Melbourne - Lane 1, 2, 3||18,976|
|Princes Freeway, Lara, Avalon Road Bridge, Melbourne Bound - Lane 1, 2, 3||17,075|
|At the Intersection of Geelong Road and Droop Street, Footscray - Lane 1, 2, 3, 4||15,417|
|Western Ring Road, Approximately 1600 metres West of Sydney Road, Broadmeadows - Lane 4||12,104|
|Princes Freeway, Little River, Point Wilson Road Bridge, Melbourne Bound - Lane 1, 2, 3||11,684|
|Princes Freeway, Point Cook, Forsyth Road Bridge, Geelong Bound - Lane 1, 2, 3, 4||11,328|
|Princes Freeway, Hoppers Crossing, Forsyth Road Bridge, Melbourne Bound - Lane 1, 2, 3, 4||11,059|
- The road safety camera at the Intersection of King Street and La Trobe Street, West Melbourne recorded the most infringements in 2018-19. Infringements for this camera increased by 70.7 per cent when compared with 2017-18. This reflects increased operating time in 2018-19 as this camera was only active for part of 2017-18.
- The top four cameras are located in 40 km/h zones.
- Research shows a pedestrian struck by a car travelling at 40 km/h has a much greater chance of survival than someone hit at 60 km/h.
Speeding and red-light offences
Total infringements for speeding and red-light offences
Infringement volumes for speeding and red-light offences decreased by 6.8 per cent from 1,303,809 in FY 2017-18 to 1,214,628 in FY 2018-19.
Speeding infringements (fixed and mobile cameras)
|Exceed speed by less than 10km/h||808,187||867,685|
|Exceed speed by 10km/h but less than 15km/h||173,667||188,907|
|Exceed speed by 15km/h but less than 25km/h||63,331||73,375|
|Exceed speed by 25km/h but less than 30km/h||6,622||7,808|
|Exceed speed by 30km/h but less than 35km/h||3,061||3,416|
|Exceed speed by 35km/h but less than 40km/h||1,603||1,728|
|Exceed speed by 40km/h but less than 45km/h||841||865|
|Exceed speed by 45km/h or more||904||962|
|Exceed speed by more than 20km/h in 110km/h zone||486||508|
- Speeding infringements detected by both fixed and mobile cameras decreased by 7.5 per cent from 1,145,254 in 2017-18 to 1,058,702 in 2018-19.
- Speeding infringements for less than 10km/h decreased by 6.8 per cent from 867,685 in 2017-18 to 808,187 in 2018-19.
- All speeding categories recorded a decrease in infringements detected from 2017-18 to 2018-19.
Total infringements for red-light offences
There was a 1.6 per cent decrease in total infringements for red-light offences from 2017-18 to 2018-19.